Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Worship with the Croix des Mission Congregation February 2011

This is the VIM Team at church this morning. From left to right: Stevenson Theodore, who is our Haitian choir director, Robin Caissie, Nehemy Theodore, Patty Charman, Bob Parker, and Andy Jones in the back. Robin, Patty, and I are members of Lebanon UMC, Nehemy is from Rhode Island, and Andy is from Wylie, Texas.






Several days ago, I was invited to give the message for this Sunday's service at Croix des Mission. Even though I have given few sermons, I accepted. Rev. Marco Depestre, the Secretary of the Eglise Methodist d'Haiti, was my interpreter. (To give you an idea about the building size, the cross is in the center of the church.)

So, how did the service go?  First, when we arrived, there were some Sunday School classes being conducted.  Some small pews had been carried outside for one class.  Two others were inside the small church.  The service began about 9:20 to a packed church.  There is a single aisle in the center with small pews on either side seating 5-6 people on each one.  Each pew was shoulder to shoulder with at least 120 people with others standing in the doorway.

 As in past years, we hired Stevenson Theodore to teach us a couple hymns in Creole. Saturday evening, Stevenson warmed us up with a couple hymns that we had learned previously. Stevenson brought his keyboard (and sound equipment for the service) to accompany us, and he accompanied the soloists, too, without any sheet music nor practice. (During the service, three people volunteered to sing solos.) Our small VIM choir was the fourth musical presentation. I believe that we sang better than in previous trips. During the second hymn, the congregation stood and sang with us. When the congregation does that, it makes me feel so good.

In my introductory remarks, I mentioned that I did not feel like a visitor anymore; I was a member of the Croix des Mission congregation.  That comment received a big round of applause.  That made me feel even better.  The sermon's title was 'God's Love.'  I had been told by a couple people that the Haitians receive many fire and brimstone sermons, but not many about God's love.  So, that was the direction I went.  Nehemy said that I even used a common Haitian sermon characteristic, a prayer during the sermon which uses a pause for individuals to ask forgiveness.  That more by accident than design since I had dusted off an old sermon and adapted for Haiti.  The feedback was very positive.  To Rev. Marco Depestre, I am still a reverend contrary to what I have told him.

After church, we went to Pain & More for lunch.  (Pain is the Creole word for bread.)  These deli/burger stores are a chain.  The bread was very good.

This evening, we made more detailed plans for tomorrow.  We emptied the suitcases and combined like items to use tomorrow.  Since this is our first attempt at Vacation Bible School, we do not know what to expect.  (I did make arrangements for church ladies to cook rice and beans for tomorrow.  We will buy meat for Friday's lunch.)

Two reporters from our local newspaper, The Valley News, will follow us on Friday.  And, it is Friday afternoon that we will have the children perform songs and dances that they will have learned.

I have been having problems this evening with the Internet connection.  Hopefully, this will upload.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment