Friday, February 18, 2011

Wednesday/Thursday

Although it is the dry season, the last two evenings at the Methodist Guest House have featured heavy rain showers.  Since the cisterns are dry at Bois d'Avril Village, I hope the village received some of the rain.

During the last two days, I have talked with many people from other VIM teams, a couple UMCOR staff, and Rev. Gesner Paul, President of the Eglise Methodist d'Haiti (EMH).  Sharing our experiences, we learn from each other.

During my conversation with Rev. Paul, I floated the idea of having a medical VIM team serve for a week the Croix des Mission neighborhood.  His reaction was positive asking if a dentist and ophthalmologist could be part of the team?  The only requirement to offer medical services is for a Haitian doctor be part of the team.  EMH has a staff doctor who could fulfill that requirement.  (When the roof on the new Croix des Mission church is completed, that space would offer shelter for a medical team to conduct a clinic.)

However, there is an item to consider when planning medical teams.  The planning must be for the long term.  Medications, say for high blood pressure, should last long enough until the next medical team arrives.  To truly improve the overall health of the neighborhood, two medical teams should be scheduled per year.  (There are not any clinics in the area, and the people cannot afford them anyway.)  Do any of you know of any medical professionals who would like a Haiti experience?

EMH is also starting a new eye clinic.  Rev. Paul asked if I could bring 100 pairs of eye glasses when I return in August.  I said that I would.  Would each of you look in your dresser drawers for old pairs of glasses?  I think that we could donate more than 100 pairs.  Also, he asked if the prescription could accompany each pair of glasses.  If you do not have that prescription, I will find a way to have the glasses examined by a professional.

There are some wonderful things are being done in Haiti that have not had the media exposure, though the larger problem of relocating the tent city residents has hardly moved at all.  But, the estimate of tent city residents has been reduced to 900,000.  The feeling is that many people are living with relatives or have moved back to the countryside.

Tomorrow, the Bois d'Avril sewing team, Sophie, Janet, Liz, and Steve return to New Hampshire.  And, Andy, Nehemy, Patty, and Robin arrive to join me.  The next adventure begins.

1 comment:

  1. All very exciting! You might consider the local Lions clubs for glasses. I know they collect and redistribute used pairs. Let me know if you would like for me to do that in SC.

    ReplyDelete