Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day care is not part of the Haitian culture. So, when the mothers arrived for sewing lessons, they brought their small children. Although we had not planned to, I gave four comfort dolls to these children. They were so happy to have them. The three girls held them while the boy was being a boy - he liked to throw his.
The treadle sewing machines are a Chinese brand, FINGER.

There was some time to teach some of the children, who also took their turns on the sewing machines, Jenga.

Yesterday, I had a request that I regard as an honor. I received an e-mail from the Secretary of the Eglise Methodiste d'Haiti, Rev. Marco Depestre. He asked if I would give the sermon this coming Sunday at Croix des Mission. He will translate for me.  And, I did not bring a suit or better shoes than my hiking boots.

Presently, I am sitting out on the second story porch watching the clouds in the valley, the clouds above us, and occassionally a cloud floating by us. Even though it is very cloudy, this is the dry season. The area needs rain.

The villagers have cisterns for the dry season, but their capacity is not sufficient. Before the Currellys, our hosts, moved up here, the Bois d'Avril villagers had to walk a ways down the mountain for water. From their cisterns, the Currellys are giving the villagers water as they are able until it rains again.

This afternoon, I am going down the mountain to the Methodist Guest House to prepare for the Croix des Mission VIM team and also to prepare my unexpected sermon. This evening, I will meet with Stevenson Theodore, Nehemy's brother, and ask him for some special music for the service. (Stevenson was a music teacher at the French School until it was destroyed by the earthquake.) However, the VIM team will still sing a couple hymns in Creole. We ARE NOT the special music. (Saturday evening, Stevenson will conduct choir practice for us.)

The aroma from the patio below smells good. Every day, a couple Haitian women are cooking a different dish while Liz takes notes. I very much like the results.  Think I'll go down and have a look.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment