Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reflections on My Trip to Haiti, August 2011


This was a near perfect trip with good weather, a terrific team, and a warm response from the Haitian people of Croix des Mission neighborhood in Port au Prince.  It was also wonderful to see more progress on the church building.  The building of the roof is underway, and the security walls which fell during the earthquake are being replaced.



As I write this, I am sitting in my comfortable home surrounded by the forests and the loon calls of New Hampshire.  The sad conditions of life in Croix des Mission are far away and seem unreal.  There is a disconnect between the living conditions of the people and the joyous, friendly attitude of the people.  Where do they find the resilence to overcome their poverty?  It must be in their faith.  They take joy in relationships with other people and with their God.  I am glad that I have come to know them.


I am grateful that I have helped the neighborhood by feeding the people for a week, by teaching and playing with the children, by donating to the building of this church which will become a focal point of joy and love in the neighborhood.  When we said "goodbye" to the crowd on the last day, Bob asked them how many would attend the church when it was built.  Almost everyone raised their hand!




No comments:

Post a Comment